Two-factor authentication (2FA) provides an added layer of security for your WriteUpp account.
As the name suggests 2FA uses two mechanisms (instead of one) to verify your identity when you login to WriteUpp. In our case these two mechanisms are:
- Username/password - like normal
- Your mobile phone
All this means in reality is that the login process has one extra step after you have entered your username and password. This step involves entering a Time-based, One-time Password (TOTP) which is a six digit code generated by the Google Authenticator app on your mobile phone.
But before you can enjoy the added peace of mind provided by 2FA there's a very small amount of set up required, which will be covered in the remainder of this document.
If you're logging in for the first time after 2FA has been enabled on your site you will be looking at a page like this, although the barcode will not be voided!
To continue logging in you will need to complete the (2FA) set up process by following the on-screen instructions. This is a one-time process and will only need repeating if you lose/change your mobile phone.
Below is a step-by-step guide to what you need to do:
- Install the Google Authenticator app on your mobile phone:
- Open the Google Authenticator app and click on the "+", shown below:
- A panel will appear at the bottom of the screen. Click on "Scan barcode"
- Using your phone's camera scan the barcode shown on the screen. This will create an entry in the Authenticator app for your WriteUpp account where you will see a six digit code which will look something like this, however the code will be different:
- Enter the six digit code into the field shown below and click on the "Activate" button
- To complete the set up process you will need to confirm your mobile number and click on "SEND SMS", shown below:
- We will send you a four digit code via text/SMS. Enter this code into the field shown below to confirm that you are the owner of the mobile device that you will be using for authentication.
IT IS VITAL THAT YOU PROVIDE A MOBILE NUMBER FOR YOUR OWN DEVICE AS THIS IS THE ONLY NUMBER THAT WE WILL SEND A RECOVERY CODE TO IN THE EVENT THAT YOU ARE UNABLE TO LOGIN USING THE AUTHENTICATOR APP.
Why do you need my mobile number to set up 2FA?
Need More Help?
We understand that not everything is black and white, so if you need some help, click "Submit A Request" ticket and one of our team will help you out as soon as possible.