THIS IS A SAMPLE DOCUMENT. PLEASE DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE WITHOUT CUSTOMISING IT FOR THE SPECIFIC NEEDS OF YOUR PRACTICE/CLINIC. AN EDITABLE VERSION IN MICROSOFT WORD FORMAT IS ATTACHED AT THE END OF THIS DOCUMENT.
As an organisation, we are committed to the highest standards of data security. As such, we have decided to activate two-factor authentication (2FA) in WriteUpp.
2FA provides an added layer of security when logging in to WriteUpp and as the name suggests it uses two mechanisms (instead of one) to verify your identity. These are:
- Username/password - like normal
- Your mobile phone
In reality, this just means that there will be an extra step after you have entered your username and password which involves entering a Time-based, One-time Password (TOTP). This is a six digit numeric code that changes every thirty seconds which is generated by the Google Authenticator app on your mobile phone.
The thinking behind this is that if your username/password is compromised anyone trying to maliciously access your WriteUpp account would also require your mobile phone to generate your unique six-digit code to gain access to your account.
What does this mean for you?
- you will need your own mobile phone to log in to WriteUpp
- you will need to install the Google Authenticator app (or similar) on your mobile phone
- you will need to perform a one time set up of 2FA once we have activated 2FA.
- you will always need your mobile phone to hand when you log in to WriteUpp unless you have checked "Trust this device" when you previously authenticated with 2FA
- you will ONLY be able to use the WriteUpp mobile app (which is also protected with 2FA) if you are running the latest version of the app.
- WriteUpp are unable to assist with 2FA login issues as once it has been activated they cannot circumvent, reset or have access to the codes that are generated by the authenticator app. If you have any issues you should contact the Site Administrator.
- We will let you know when we are going to activate 2FA. As soon its activated you will see the following screen (without the voided barcode) when you next log in to WriteUpp:
- Follow the instructions on the screen which include: setting up 2FA on your account and verifying your mobile number so that you can also be sent a code via SMS if you're unable to use the authenticator app for any reason. For step by step instructions please take a look at the article below:
- Having set up 2FA, the login process going forwards is very straightforward and will just require you to have your mobile with you so that you can enter your unique, time-based six-digit code. For step by step instructions on how to login using 2FA please take a look at the article below:
How do I login once I have set up 2FA?
- If you have any problems logging in using 2FA please contact the Site Administrator.
Need More Help?
We understand that not everything is black and white, so if you need some help, click "Submit A Request" ticket and one of our team will help you out as soon as possible.