Recently (July 2016) Microsoft released two security updates (KB 3115322, 3115262) which have impacted the ability to open Excel files that have been created using the "Export to Excel" button throughout WriteUpp.
This has been raised with Microsoft but at present there is no suggestion that a fix is imminent. As a result we will work on a solution but this will take some time to resolve.
In the meantime there are two workarounds:
Workaround 1 - On a File by File Basis
- Click on the "Export to Excel" button as normal, which will download the file.
- In Chrome the download will appear as below. Click on the highlighted down arrow and select "Show in Folder"
- This will open the folder where your downloaded file resides and your file will be selected/highlighted
- Right click on the file and select "Properties", highlighted below
- Then check the box by the side of "unblock"
- Now you will be able to open the file in Excel.
Workaround 2- One Time Solution
Disclaimer: This solution will enable you to open potentially unsafe files downloaded from the internet. Microsoft provide this functionality for your protection. It will enable you to open files downloaded from WriteUpp but if you are in the habit of downloading "unknown" content from the internet we would not advise you to use this workaround.
- Open Excel Go to File Options
- Click Trust Center and then click on the Trust Center Settings button
- Go to Protected View. There are 3 options and all of them are checked by default. Uncheck the first option that reads -- "Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet"
- You will now be able to open all Excel files downloaded from Excel
Please Note: The screenshots above were taken using Excel 2016. If you are using a different version of Excel you may see slightly different content but the principles are the same.
Need More Help?
We understand that not everything is black and white, so if you need some help, click "Submit A Request" ticket and one of our team will help you out as soon as possible.